A sustainable craft.
1. Nontoxic focus. Kermit the Frog’s “It ain’t easy being green” gets repeated a lot in our industry. But the fact is, that’s just not our experience. I come from a background of Nontoxic Printmaking which is basically a fine arts practice meets eco-hacking. I learned early on that cleaning chemicals, solvents, and inks don’t have to be harsh and nasty to work great. In my experience, a little more attention to craft and a bit more elbow grease ends up doing a better job than health-impacting toxins. Sorry, Kermit. Being green ain’t that hard after all.
2. 100% Water based. We run an exclusively water based printshop for many reasons including safety, environmental impact, print quality, and plain ol’ preference. While plastisol inks are getting safer, water based inks treated properly are the safest for our team and the best option for your shirts. Take a peak at our blog to learn more about why this is the case.
3. Soy and Citrus-based cleaners and solvents. Ink is just one half of the printmaking process. The other is stencil-making. We use soy and citrus based reclaiming compounds and a water filtration system that allows us to safely dispose of those teeny-tiny ink bits.
4. Recycling. We re-use first and recycle second. It's awesome.
5. The shop. I mention our workspace because it is truly a testament to our environmental and health commitments. It's a space that allows us to do what we do efficiently, safely, and happily. We’ve taken a century-old auto garage and turned it into a beautiful print studio. We get to work in an energy efficient space with amazing natural light. It’s worth checking out. Come and visit us!